Monday, June 1, 2009

Seriously people, talk to your kids.

Have you ever had a conversation with your child about bullying? Are you even aware of the scope and breadth of this issue? As a parent of a 5th grader, I am here to tell you there's more to it than just a mean kid on the playground. Click HERE to read about sexual bullying (two elementary-aged students recently took their own lives because of it) and click HERE and HERE to learn more about cyberbullying. (We're dealing with a situation right now that blows my mind away. It is real, folks.) Our kids need to know that teasing is NEVER okay or funny; they need to know what to do if they ever see it happen or become a victim themselves.


post signature

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina - I am so sorry. I know that is horrible for a child to go through. I would love to know how you two are handling it.
xo
Sharon

Mellissa said...

oh ick! Tina, know that I can covering you and your sons in prayer. I cannot even wrap my head around this...Hugs and love to you all.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry and upset this is affecting one of the boys. I will also be covering him in prayers of protection. Sad to say, we have dealt with this in kindergarten! It is very disturbing, and seems to start in the child's home. Please get the school involved if you haven't already. I am so glad he has you for his advocate. Our kids need us to defend them, need to know we will fight for them!!! If we don't, no one will. (Sorry, my soap box here.) Will also be praying for Mama!!! Call me if you need to vent!!!

AKD

Tina Vega said...

I talked with the school principal this morning and within an our or two, he'd managed to speak with each of the boys and their parents. Interestingly enough, it sounds like my son wasn't the only one feeling bullied. I'm praying this will indeed be the end of it and there will be no repercussions.

What a learning experience and wake-up call. We just so need to impress upon our kids the importance of respecting one another - even in play. Things can get out of hand so quickly and easily.