Sunday, July 27, 2008

i want to be more than a godly wallflower

How many of us go to church and Bible study, attend Christian conferences, read Christian books and yet somehow still remain on the sidelines? We may even consider ourselves "godly" in these practices but the truth of the matter is, God's Word calls for action:

…The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. Go! I am sending you… (Luke 10:2-3)

And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen. (Matthew 28:18-20)

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. (James 1:22-25)

Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say? I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete." (Luke 6:46-50)

The Lord recently placed an opportunity before me, something beyond my reach and well outside my comfort zone. Despite the fact I'd just completed a 6-week Bible study on obedience, I told Him I wasn't ready. I was filled with doubt, questioning whether or not what I'd heard was indeed from Him.

It got me thinking.

I woke up this morning to have a little time with God and when I opened my latest Joyce Meyer magazine, I found this:
Have you ever felt like you missed out on something great? Sometimes out of fear, laziness, passivity, irresponsibility, or wrong thinking, we can miss out on opportunities that God puts in front of us.

Many people sit in church afraid to get involved because they're thinking if they get involved, they could get taken advantage of or hurt. Or if they start helping, they'll be asked to do everything. By faith, we can learn how to say yes and how to say no.

All of us want to hear from God, but we don't have to sit around and pray for six months over every little thing. Sometimes the only thing we can do is try it. Just try it. When we have opportunities, let's take them.
Stunningly, it echoed the very same words my mom had spoken to me only yesterday. Talk about a God Moment. So instead of simply thinking about it, I acted and filled out an application to be an NILMDTS photographer. Now it's in His hands. If I am called to serve, I need to trust the Holy Spirit to give me the grace I need to do so. Despite the doubts. Despite the fears.

Despite the discomfort.

He's taught me to follow Him no matter where it leads and He has never let me down. Starting up a home-based business. Letting go of my desire for more children and trusting His plan. Public speaking, and with a microphone nonetheless! Taking on the task of a BLOG and talking about Him of all things on it. And then there's the whole photography-thing.

All are things outside of what I ever pictured for my life. All are things that pushed me outside of my comfort zone. Yet, believe it or not, I still waiver despite the many times He's proven Himself faithful! Thankfully, He understands.

The Lord said to Moses, "Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say." Exodus 4:12

post signature

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That must have been a great feeling to finally fill out the application and "just do it". It seems to me that you have been being "called" to this ministry for a long time. I think your compassion along with the job you do at photography will be a great combination. God is smiling:)
Lynn

Amy said...

Good for you! Makes perfect sense to me! :)

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you. You just mentioned how you wanted to be a part of that organization a few days ago. I think this will be perfect for you.

Sharon

Tina Vega said...

Thank you all for such words of encouragement... we'll see what happens (I'll be sure to keep you posted).

Anonymous said...

Way to go Tina! This seems like a good fit for you. I 'm with you on being able to just put myself out there. . .

Colleen

Deanna said...

Ya know I heard this lady say last weekend - "Make a decision for crying out loud! Have some courage! There are plenty of flattened squirrels in the world who just could not make a decision!"
I saw a squirrel the other day and as I pleaded with it to make a dadgum decision it paused in the middle of the road and turned toward my van I swear that varmit looked just like me!!

I'm just saying - yes, I get what you're sayin. I've made my decision to do what He's called me to do, stop darting from one side of the road to the other and leave it in HIS hands!

:) Deanna

Mellissa said...

Oh Tina!!! I will hold you up in prayer for this. What a beautiful way to serve and to help families at the most painful moment of their lives. I am proud of you. I also see that as a place I want to go with my faith and my God given talents with photography. You are doing the right thing in using the gifts He gave you to serve others. NILMDTS had a great training program and I *KNOW* you have the skills, the EYE and the ability to capture those precious, priceless moments. God bless you! I will hold you up in prayer. Please let me know how it goes!