Wednesday, February 4, 2009

a flurry of candy wrappers & tears

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my week so far. (See #25 on The Random 25 List.) The good news? My sales tax paperwork is DONE - filed and paid even! I'm gonna take a little breather now before dealing with the income taxes.

I may need another bag or two of chocolate.

You may have noticed my new Twitter widget. (If not, scroll waaay down - you'll see it to the right.) Until spending time on Facebook, I really didn't understand the purpose of tweeting. It wasn't until reading everyone's one-liner status updates that things clicked - short, sweet, and to the point is sorta fun! One might ask, "If you're doing it on Facebook, what's the point of adding Twitter to the mix?" First of all, not everyone is on FB. And secondly, I can post updates without that annoying "Tina is" glaring back at me. For what it's worth, I'm going to try the thing out.

Speaking of tears, Newsweek just published a beautiful article about Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. (Click HERE for details.) It had me crying up a storm.

And on a happy baby note, Beth Moore just became a grandma for the second time! Click HERE to get the scoop from Beth's blog and HERE from Amanda's blog. Speaking of babies, this is as good a time as any to post a few more images of Mellissa's little one:

An absolute doll.

On a completely unrelated note, I was SO SURE I'd shared this book long ago but a quick blog search says otherwise. (BTW, I'm really stumped by this because I couldn't even find the Bento Box post, which I clearly remember posting.) Anyway, the book is called "Love Notes in Lunchboxes" by Linda J. Gilden. Tucking little notes in your child's lunchbox is a wonderful way to help stay connected throughout the day. They can be used to encourage or motivate and are a fun way to make a positive impression on your child's day. You'll find all sorts of free printables online or you could create your own digital notes (of course, handwritten notes are very special as well). Here are several examples:

You are full of surprises. Thank you for being such a great helper last night. Have a great day!

I really enjoy your company. Let's spend time together when you get home.

Sorry yesterday was such a bad day. Maybe this note will be the only thing backward about today. I love you - Mom (This note should be written backwards so your child will have to stand in front of a mirror to read it!)

You are so thoughtful. Thanks for helping your brother with his homework last night.
The book is chock full of ideas regarding holidays, birthdays, and other special occasions... ideas that extend well beyond the lunchbox. I would highly recommend it for kids of all ages. And on an ending note (because that appears to be the start of every sentence in this post), more sugar and a quote.

We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today. ~Stacia Tauscher

post signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tilly personally enjoys speaking in the 3rd person.

Amy said...

I've done love notes in lunchboxes since E started 1st grade...it is a very important tradition to both my kids, so I'm always sure I don't forget. Focus on the Family has "Hugs in a Lunch Box", one for 4-8 yrs old, and one for 8-12 years old. It has stickers, ready-made notes, as well as blank ones with ideas, too, that are perforated, so you just rip them out and wa-la!

Mellissa said...

More great pics... and I am so glad that you finished up that icky sales tax stuff! have some chocolate for me...G-man has decided that he doesn't like second hand dark chocolate...sigh...