Tuesday, September 9, 2008

the monster within

I've had eating disorders on the brain (not so much because of the 20/20 story but because someone close to me is struggling). It's difficult for many to grasp the depth and scope of this type of addiction. When I talk to people about the destructive nature of eating disorders, they often listen in disbelief. Surely, there must be something else going on?

For years, my mom swore I was addicted to drugs. The financial problems, relational issues, and failing grades surely attested to that as well. I was even confronted by an employer at one point - as a recovering alcoholic, she was no stranger to the chaos surrounding addiction. Though I was impulsive, manipulative, and secretive - most who knew me would have said otherwise.

Inside I felt hopeless, isolated, and depressed; there seemed no way to break free of the cycle. (Unfortunately for most who find themselves caught in the grips of an eating disorder, the medical field offers little in the way of hope. You'll find a heap of startling statistics and facts HERE and HERE.) Not only have I battled this monster, I've helplessly watched other family members and friends struggle as well. I've seen eating disorders destroy marriages, ruin careers, tear children away from mothers, cause financial ruin, and kill.

Yes, an eating disorder can do all of that and more.

Because little headway has been made over the years, the best course of treatment appears to be preventative. (Click HERE for a list of suggestions.) If someone you know or love is struggling with an eating disorder, I strongly recommend THIS BOOK for insight and encouragement. Too, you will find a comprehensive ED treatment finder and other supportive resources located HERE.

O Lord my God, I called to you for help and you healed me. Psalm 30:2

post signature

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks for the link about prevention. We have the ED on our radar since we've had it on both sides of the family. It was reassuring to know that we've been following many of those suggestions already. I also thought the book you lent to me a few years ago was helpful in understanding the disorder, but I don't recall the name.

(ps, I posted some pool pics of the kids on my blog-finally!)