Saturday, September 6, 2008

a new kind of eating disorder

It's called "orthorexia nervosa" and is an obsession with eating healthy. As a contrast to other eating disorders which focus on losing weight, orthorexia may begin with a desire to improve general health or to combat chronic illness. And then... things get out of hand.

I caught the story last night on 20/20 and found a great writeup about it HERE. I also found an article written by Dr. Steven Bratman (who is mentioned on the program), you can check it out by clicking HERE. If you're interested in learning more about the signs and symptoms of this illness, click HERE.

I, too, have concerns about the cancer-causing effects of pesticides in our food, partially hydrogenated oils, etc. but my eating disorder beeper goes off any time I begin to put too much thought and time into it. Unfortunately, it's a fine line that is very easy to cross but extremely difficult to cross back.

post signature

3 comments:

J Bindi said...

Thanks Tina for posting this. I have a dear friend who works in the alternative/natural health field and she struggles with this.

I agree, it is very difficult when they put high fructose corn syrup in everything and other chemicals but I cannot afford to buy everything organic as much as I would like to, especially with the money crunch that myself and many families face now days.

My thoughts and prayers are with those who struggle with this.

Mellissa said...

I kind of find it hilarious that someone who may obsess about health is labeled with a "disorder". A little OCD maybe, but for the right reasons...can't be ultra healthy without a label I guess. Kinda sad that we have to label so many things and people...

Crystal said...

Mmmm...those cookies look good. Yep, I don't have "orthorexia nervosa!" I shouldn't joke around because I actually find it very interesting. If you have addictive behavior it could be easy to fall into because you tell yourself you are just trying to be healthy. However, obsessing so much about food can be stressful and unhealthy.