Friday, July 25, 2008

the road before me

As most of you know, the family and I recently returned from a trip to Illinois. What I failed to mention was the blessed usefulness of my hubby's GPS receiver, which we have named Curt. Curt and I have a love-hate relationship; nine times out of ten, I find "him" to be extremely annoying. Why? Because I don't always agree with his timing or direction. But while on vacation, I found myself relying on Curt more and more. As we traveled through unfamiliar territory, I was grateful for his guidance and GPS wisdom. With his assistance, we were even able to make a few spontaneous detours with ease (A&W, Hobby Lobby, and IHOP).

The hubby's GPS receiver: it's a good thing.

I can't help but think of my life. Looking ahead, I wish I had at the very least - a detailed road map. I don't. (Even if I did, there would likely be detours beyond my control.) Thankfully though, I do have a Navigator and He has the map. And just like our road trip to Illinois, I don't have to see the map - I just need to trust the Navigator.

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go," says the Lord. Psalm 32:8

Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Psalm 25:4-5

During seasons of uncertainty and change, it can be very easy to get focused on the map. Though God has a perfect plan for our lives, He wants us to chase after Him - not His plan. Instead of "turning Him off" and proceeding on your own, allow the challenges to draw you closer to God by spending time in His word and in His presence. He'll guide you through one step at a time.

post signature

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina:
This was just what I needed to read today!! We are going through another possible "road of change" and I have been praying about it. Thank you for giving me the words I needed to keep on track.

Tina Vega said...

I love it when that happens! I'm still hoping we can connect w/the kids before summer runs out. Talk to you soon!

Heavenbound said...

Tina: this was so absolutly what i needed to hear today. I need to keep my focus on HIM. I'm so glad that we connected with you at the conference your blog is a blessing.
Aileen.(A pink lady)

Heidi said...

Hi Tina,

Wow, this is so awesome and so true. We sometimes keep our eyes focused on the "plan," especially when we are encouraged to be good planners. But God's word says that tomorrow is not promised and I believe that you hit the nail right on the head when you stated that we need to keep our eyes focused on HIM, and not on the plan. Thank you for your obedience to writing this and for sharing your heart with us. :-)

- Heidi
Another Pink Lady

Anonymous said...

It is exactly what I needed today as well.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and HIS words with all of us.

Sharon