Sunday, July 6, 2008

Blogiversary Prize Drawing #2

I found a great song to go along with this entry but couldn't find a video by the artist. I'll direct you instead to Matt Maher's MySpace page; the song is called Your Grace is Enough and you can listen to it by clicking HERE.

The book pictured above will be the next item up for grabs! I have a couple of other books in this series and have found them to be very helpful. Praying God's Promises in Tough Times is broken down into several different categories (Concerns, Purpose, Insecurity, Stress, Strength, etc.) each written around a specific verse. I'll share an excerpt from the category "Strength in Weakness" below:

THE PROMISE
God Works Best in Our Troubles
Each time he said, "My gracious favor is all you need. My power works best in your weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may work through me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

The apostle Paul had a significant problem, something he labeled a "thorn in my flesh." Was it a physical ailment? an emotional condition? external persecution? No one really knows, although Bible scholars have lots of theories. All we can say for sure is that this "thorn" was the source of much anguish.

Paul begged God repeatedly for relief from his desperate situation. God repeatedly said no. And so Paul found himself in an uncomfortable corner where he had no choice but to rely humbly on God. When he quit fighting, this weak, wounded man became a powerful servant for the Lord.

The same strength - God's strength - is available to you right now. But you experience such life-changing grace only when you accept your situation as from God and depend fully on God's infinite resources.

In proclaiming this truth, minister and U.S. Senate chaplain Peter Marshall prayed this way: "When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure."

PRAYING GOD'S PROMISE
God, your power is displayed most clearly in my inability. Be glorified in me as I humbly lean on you and wait for you to work. Help me to remember that when I can't, you can. This is the paradox of faith - the magnificent power of God at work in the life of a helpless creature like me!

GOD'S PROMISE TO YOU
- God's grace is all you need.
- His power works best in your weakness.
- Tough times are prime opportunities for you to trust God and see him work.
To enter the drawing, just add a comment to this post making your best pirate noise in writing. (I thought it would go well with the whole "thorn in your side" business.) The winner will be posted in the morning.

post signature

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Tina,

My name is Diann and Jodie Mclagan is playing "tag" with me. You have a very nice blog site. It was nice to visit. Have a Blessed day.

Shalom,
Diann