Thursday, May 8, 2008

diggin' a little deeper...

Instead of commenting on the last post, I decided to follow-up with another post (there are just too many links to share).

Anytime we receive contradicting information, it warrants further research. I've done that and will share some of what I found with you. As always, I would encourage you to look into this for yourself - do not simply take my word for it!

Here's the link directly to Minnesota Teen Challenge (click HERE). I would encourage you to look around - the history, its Board of Directors, the program. I did notice that two of the board members were affiliated with churches (Reedeeming Love and Assemblies of God) and checked those out as well. After exploring the Investigating Teen Challenge blog, I had trouble finding any solid information for its author or for those commenting on their bad experiences. Most were anonymous posts and the others did not have blogs. It is important for me to have that information because when you are deep into addiction, anyone fighting to save you can be seen as the enemy. I know this from my own experience with addiction as well as working closely with loved ones who are still in its grips.

Click HERE for the Wikipedia link about Teen Challenge.

Here's a powerful video about addiction and the program:

Teen Challenge is a faith-based program (as is Mercy Ministries). And where there is faith, there is often controversy.

By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. Matthew 7:16-20

post signature

1 comment:

Sean Wright said...

Hi Tina,

I found your blog through a google alert which picked up the Keyword "Mercy Ministries".

I have been investigating Mercy Ministries in Australia since a story broke nationally on their mistreatment of clients.

The problem with proving links in some of these organisations is they work on "old boys" networks principle - where there may not be official links but there is back room deals etc because they all belong to the same or similar church.

As to anonymous posters. It is a problem but often as in the case of Mercy Ministries the clients have been "brainwashed" and are often in fear of being ostracised by the wider christian community in fear for their life and "soul" as they have been indoctrinated to believe that they are evil if they question the organisation.

The women who have commented on my blog post anonymously, but I have been supplied with personnal information tht leaves me in no doubt they are sincere.

The problem with faith based programs is that they are not all the same. AA is a faith based program but it is vastly different to what Mercy offers.

The main difference occurs in how the faith is offered in some it is optional and offered, in others it is integral part of the program and is really indoctrination masquerading as treatment.