Sunday, May 11, 2008

a beautiful day

I woke to find a generous bowl of cereal waiting for me, along with two very sweet handmade gifts. One was a poem by my oldest son and another was a lovely drawing (of me) by my youngest with a quote at the bottom that said, "My mom is beautiful."

After lunch we stopped by Lita's house for an impromptu visit. Ever the hostess, she greeted us with fresh coffee and tasty little treats. We then made our way over to my mom's house where a surprise awaited.

Grandma made me TOWELS!!!!!!!!! Can you believe it? I just blogged about my towel shortage last weekend. It is my first batch of towels in years! Shortly after the unveiling, my sister-in-law Amy snapped this lovely shot of my mom and me. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm bursting with excitement BECAUSE I HAVE TOWELS!

Sadly though, Amy is still waiting for her towels! I just might have to continue on in my towel-making venture on her behalf. The poor girl already missed out on Stacey Cookies this weekend.

A close family friend and neighbor stopped by, reminding me that Mother's Day might be a painful reminder of loss for some. Rick's wife (Jean) passed away seven weeks ago and this was their first Mother's Day without her. Rick invited us over to visit Jean's former studio where he'd recently filled the walls with her beautiful artwork. It was a very special part of my day.

To those of you who have experienced loss, my heart is with you today.

post signature

5 comments:

Amy said...

I, too, was quite touched by Rick's invitation to baske in Jean's beautiful artwork and remember her today. It felt so intimate to see her workspace and family photos and artistic creations. That he shared that with all of us on such a day as Mother's Day was really special.

Don't worry about me and the towels! I have the perfect amount of them-many that I use, and a couple still in the back of my dishtowel drawer that I haven't, so I'm good! But those cookies-I can't believe SOME people had THREE!!! :)

Anonymous said...

You snooze, you lose! That's what I was told!!

Anonymous said...

Amy
I hate to say this but after I opened up my present from Grandma Deutsch last night at home guess what I got more of....
TOWELS! I would give them to u but I can tell they r made especially for me with cute little kitties playing with yarn on them!
StaceyD

Crystal said...

Tina,

I was looking at Angie Smith's blog today and she wrote this.. "There are other developments in my life that I want to share with you when the time is right. God has such a way of making Himself known. Reminding me of the life that waits up ahead. In the meantime, know this... I am grateful."

I wonder what she is talking about??? Her story has been so heart-wrenching. I hope the "developments" are really great. I'll be watching to see what's going on with her. Hmm....

Tina Vega said...

That entry was so beautiful, wasn't it? What's so funny is that I totally missed that paragraph for some reason (maybe the tears). Thank you so much for calling it to attention! It sounds like something cool in the works...