Monday, March 17, 2008

I generally try to avoid such controversial issues...

After being locked indoors for most of the week, we decided to take in a movie (not much for fresh air but at least we were out of the house). The boys wanted to see Horton Hears a Who. I had no clue the controversy this movie was generating until searching for some cute video footage to post. Wooh wee, did I get an ear eye full!

The movie was adorable, making me both laugh and cry (always a good sign). A few times, I even caught myself laughing harder than the children. I really liked the message - here's my take on it (SPOILER WARNING!):

Horton (with his big elephant ears) hears a voice coming from a "speck" and does everything in his power to protect it. He's loyal that way, remember what happened with the egg? There's a bitter, hard-hearted momma kangaroo. She cannot hear the voices on the speck and says: "If you can't see, hear, or feel something - it doesn't exist!" She warns Horton not to tell anyone about the speck and orders him to get rid of it. Being the loyal guy he is, Horton cannot do such a thing. At one point in the movie, he is actually cornered by the jungle animals - his freedom and safety on the line. The kangaroo threatens him, saying that things will "go back to normal" if he just admits that there is no life on the speck. Horton can't deny the truth and is willing to fight to the bitter end, to sacrifice himself for the people of Whoville. Lo and behold, a miracle takes place and the jungle critters are finally able to hear the people of Whoville chanting, "We are here! We are here!" (This is where I started to get teary-eyed.) The speck is saved and everyone realizes that the kangaroo was wrong. Horton sees her, with her back facing the crowd and he reaches out to her in kindness. (This is where I lost it.)

It kind of reminded me of the whole Easter story.

Anyway, if you're looking for a fun movie to see with the kids I would highly recommend Horton Hears a Who. Meeley and Ren give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

post signature

No comments: