Monday, February 11, 2008

February Faithbooking Lesson

Do you ever find yourself struggling to keep up with the frantic pace of life? Do you look forward to a time when you will have time to do the things you love? Do the relationships in your life take a backseat to activities in your life?

Time is a precious commodity. We all receive the same amount and when it's gone, it's gone. So what do most of us do with this daily gift? Work it, squander it, rush it, dread it - that is until tragedy strikes and forces us to face the reality that our days are numbered.

Take for example the song I posted as a hint for the lesson this month. "Cat's in the Cradle" was originally performed by Harry Chapin. It was written by his wife Sandy after their son Josh was born and became a self-fulfilling prophecy. When Josh was seven, Harry was performing 200+ concerts a year. Sandy asked when he was going make time for their son; Harry promised at the end of summer. He never kept that promise. A truck hit his Volkswagen Rabbit that July and Harry was killed.

Time is precious.

How many of us put off our relationship with God, thinking we'll tend to it "someday"? How many of us put off forgiving someone, thinking we'll tend to it "someday"? How many of us put off relationships with family and friends, thinking we'll tend to them "someday"? The truth is someday may never come! The time to begin living is right now.

The goal for this lesson was to reflect on your life - this moment. I used the following questions to create a "worksheet" to add to a scrapbook layout (with or without photos):

  • Today is a gift because...
  • What really matters to me is...
  • I see beauty in...
  • I spend most of my time...
  • I have my heart set on...
  • I am thankful for...
  • I am struggling with...
  • My family means...

Live a life of intention, making the most of every opportunity. God wants us living not just BUSYING!

"Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered - how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath." Psalm 39:4-5 (NLT)


post signature

No comments: