Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Are You There God? It's Me, Tina...

caped crusader
I was an avid reader as a young girl, my favorite books being The Secret Garden, Flowers in the Attic, Clan of the Cave Bear, Watership Down, and countless others. Of course, Judy Blume made a huge impression as well.

Interestingly enough, it was her book that made me start thinking of God as someone I could talk to - even if He did seem so very far away. I pictured Him sorta "up there" watching from some heavenly throne, similar to the way I watched television.

love this
I never knew what it meant to know Him... that is, until several years ago. My mom was talking about God a lot at the time. She'd been watching some Bible teacher on television so I decided to secretly watch the show myself to see what Mom had gotten herself into. Much to my surprise, I found myself secretly enjoying it!

Who would have thought the Bible could be so relevant to everyday life? I'd always thought of it as some outdated sacred resource, I had no clue it actually contained helpful information regarding relationships and dealing with stress and truly enjoying life.

Go figure.

And then one day that Bible teacher talked about what it meant to have a relationship with the Lord. A real one, not the far-off kind. I felt a yearning so strong that in the darkness of my livingroom, I prayed. A change took place in me that day and my life has never been the same.

So instead of God being that far-off guy up in the sky, His presence surrounds me. He's not just watching, He is involved... interacting, directing, comforting. I notice things in response to prayer - details I might have dismissed in the past as mere coincidence. I write these things down and have been for a number of years.

post signature

4 comments:

theheartofachild said...

AMEN! Living from His Presence has led me in a way different direction than I would have taken with my job, family (adoption), etc. His ideas are always so much BETTER than mine! Being on an adventure with God it's a great ride and oh so much fun!!!

Great to have people like you to support, intercede and encourage the ride!
Thanks!
Jenny

Amy said...

It is amazing to look back on how God drew us in. So thoughtfully. So gently. Until we realize we've been changed and would not want to go back to the way we were. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Amy Lewis
http://teachingsfromthetrail.com

Pine and Willow said...

Your words are so true, my friend. So true. Recently, He's been refining me and what He keeps telling me over and over is "I'm right here." What a lonely feeling to believe anything different.
LOVE, love those photographs of your little guy. Your b/w conversion is wonderful!

The Gruber Family said...

Thank you for your beautiful testimony.