Sunday, August 2, 2009

Miss Shakopee Coronation | Minnesota Event Photographer

An excerpt from my current issue of Professional Photographer:

Always say yes. That was how I grew my skills and my business after finding photography at 40. I was asked to shoot a rehearsal... and I'd never shot in flash before. I was asked to shoot from a helicopter... knowing nothing about aerial photography. With only eight food shots in my profile, I wanted to do a photo shoot for a large food product company... and I've had them as a customer for 15 years. You have to be willing to say yes, to ask for help, to learn, to experiment, to take risks.
The timing couldn't have been more perfect.

On Thursday, I received a call from someone on the Miss Shakopee Royalty Committee asking if I'd be interested in taking a last-minute gig. Could I be there on Saturday? Without thinking too much about it, I said yes.

Had I ever photographed a coronation? No.

Would it be outdoors? No.

Do I routinely book sessions that have little to no light? No.

So why in the world did I say yes? Because I would never learn if I didn't step out of my comfort zone. I wouldn't move forward if I refused to take a step into the unknown. I was PETRIFIED (though I usually am with most sessions) but knew I had to do it.

The result:

A tough night, but I learned a lot. I prayed the whole way there and back, asking for the Lord's help. After the coronation, I overheard a grandma telling her granddaughter (after she'd been chosen as one of the junior ambassadors)... you can do all things through Christ.

Sometimes we could all use a reminder like that one.

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

post signature

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Tina!! What a beautiful blog, and what beautiful pictures ~ I can't wait to see the rest! I'm sorry I didn't make it over there last night. Looks like it was fun. I will call you later. (And congrats on your first coronation! I knew you'd be perfect for this job!) :)

Tina Vega said...

Thank you again, Tanya, for the referral!

Colleen W said...

They turned out great!! When you had posted, I wondered if it was for Miss Shakopee - cuz I knew it was this weekend!

Anonymous said...

That second shot is really wonderful!

Mellissa said...

1) Philippians 4:13 is my favorite bible verse.
2) you did a spectacular job Tina! You really should be proud of yourself!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Tina you did an amazing job and we enjoyed having you! I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures and thank you very much for fitting us into your schedule. Thanks again!
Rachel

Anonymous said...

very nice photo's, great job!! So which lens did you rent??? Just curious with the lighting issues.
Lisa S

Tina Vega said...

I didn't use the rental because I was sitting too close to the stage. Went mostly with the Canon 50mm f/1.4. When the lighting was up I switched to the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.

Tina Vega said...

Thanks for the feedback, Rachel. The girls were so beautiful... it would have been fun to "play" with them in my usual element. I'll keep you posted on the rest of the images, hopefully within the next few weeks.

Striving Green said...

Beautiful pictures Tina - congratulations!