Sunday, March 22, 2009

This week promises to be anything but routine.

The kids and hubby are home for the week. (Interesting, considering the weekly photo challenge theme.) With today being Sunday and church being a usual part of the day, I knew I had to snap a shot of the service. (It wasn't easy.) Just click on the image to get a better view.

The kids are outside and the hubby is shopping - perfect for blogging... now if only I could WRITE! It's not been coming very easily as of late. What's been happening over the last few weeks has been something of a makeover. Things were getting a little off-track. (Nothing major, just feeling like I'd zipped ahead of God in a few areas.) I've been taking a little extra time to sort things out.

So how does one know when a godly makeover is needed? Here are a few of the signs I watch for in my own life:

1. Chronic crabbiness. From me, the kids, or the hubby.

2. Operating with very little margin.

3. Sleeplessness or feeling overly tired.

4. Continually putting the kids or my hubby off.

5. Lack of enjoyable, stress-free family time.

6. God has been shoved aside.

7. Very little interest in the needs of others. Critical and impatient.

8. Trouble keeping commitments - missing church, skipping out on meetings, or making excuses.

9. Erratic eating.

10. Unbalanced free time. Reading, photography, scrapbooking, and the Internet can be huge temptations for me. When stressed, I tend to overuse the things I like in an attempt to escape.

When I am lined up with God, I have peace no matter what the circumstances. When things are off-balance, even a tiny bit - I lose that peace. Here's what the Bible has to say about a life that's lined up with God's will:

Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:9

You will keep in perfect peace him who mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you, Lord. Isaiah 26:3

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. Isaiah 58:11

Jesus said, "Everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

"My people wil live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest," says the Lord. Isaiah 32:18

May the God of hope fill you will all joy and peace as you trust in him. Romans 15:13

"My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest," says the Lord. Exodus 33:14

The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace. Psalm 29:11

When I have the sense that things are unbalanced, I go back to basics. I make sure I'm spending time with God in His word and look to see that my priorities are ordered biblically. (Click HERE to learn more.) I usually spot a thing or two right off the bat. I pray, asking God for forgiveness and wisdom, then I do what I can to make the necessary changes. (This might mean a revamping of our family schedule or being more intentional about the time I give to our children or carefully watching my attitude towards my husband.) Some of the questions I ask myself:

1. Am I making healthy eating and family meals a priority? If not, what kinds of changes do I need to make?

2. Have I been heading to bed at a reasonable time?

3. Where have I been spending my time? Does it reflect my priorities? If not, what kinds of changes do I need to make?

4. How is the family being affected? Is my impatience rubbing off on others?

5. Have I been consistent in my parenting? Have I been respectful towards my husband or "mommying" him in addition to the children?

Once I have a better understanding of where I've gotten off-track, I continue to pray for guidance and persist in making changes until I'm back where I need to be.

That's kind of where I'm at right now, basics mode. (Thus, the short and sweet bloggy posts.) And on that note, my family is back in the house and waiting patiently for me to complete this post. Have a great evening!

post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post Tina! I think I may have been an intended reader :) I'm going to do some margin building this week!

theheartofachild said...

I copied that photo of worship at H! Great photo!!! Still working on how to get CM software on my Mac!! Have a class tomorrow and hope to get some answers!!