Saturday, February 28, 2009

there's nothing like a little chocolate to buffer the pain

As a reminder, tomorrow is the start of Project 365=Weekly Themes. I hope everyone is ready to start Looking Up! It will be fun to see what everyone has come up with, I'm sure the challenge will generate lots of creativity :-)

I've been reading up lately on digital SLR cameras and have learned quite a bit of surprising information I thought I'd pass along. First of all, did you know that most lower-end DSLRs have a 1.6x crop factor - meaning... you are not really even capturing the full image? The sad reality is my 50mm lens is really acting more like an 80mm lens because of the crop factor. To help explain things better, here's an example of what this means:


This explains exactly why no matter how hard I try or which lens I use, I will never be able to achieve the true wide angle image I am looking for. That is, until I spend about $2,700 more on a new camera body.

And I so want that camera body. In addition to achieving some awesome images, it would also serve as my second camera during sessions. Not only will it allow me the convenience of keeping two lenses at my fingertips (saving time and preventing me from missing shots), it will also provide a sense of peace and security to have backup equipment. Especially important as I take on more weddings.

This means I'll be holding off on investing in new lenses. (Sigh.) The good news? I've found a place locally that rents them for a mere $20-25. (There are plenty of online rental places as well, but you'll pay that just for the cost of shipping.)

Too, I've also discovered a very cool company that provides post-production services to photographers. Creating digital albums for myself is one thing, it's a completely different story when it comes to clients. The process is time-consuming either way, I think that's why I'm drawn to Colorati. Not only do they select your best images, they process, edit, and design album pages. (I could see this being VERY handy down the road.)

I have some morning business to tend to now that the kids are waking. But before I go, just a couple more things regarding the daily photo challenge: you do not need a fancy camera to particpate AND you are welcome to turn it into a weekly challenge instead. If you have any questions, let me know!

post signature

No comments: