Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sharon Brown, Part 1 of 2

My connection with Sharon Brown (not to be confused THIS SHARON) has been a series of God Moments and another wonderful reminder of His perfect orchestration. We met several years ago while I was serving as a leader for the Alpha Course. The highlight of the 12-week course is a weekend retreat. A retreat that happened to fall on my annual craft fair date.

A big, BIG deal for my scrapbooking business. Those spots are difficult to come by so when you find one, it's important to hang onto it!

After praying about the conflict for several days, a name kept popping into my head: Sharon Brown. Mind you, I didn't even know Sharon Brown! We'd met the year before at the craft fair - she, a new Creative Memories Consultant from a neighboring city, had stopped by my booth to pick up ideas. Six months later, we bumped into each other at a coffee shop - after seeing the business logo on my van, she approached me having completely forgotten our connection at the craft fair. Weeks later while in conversation with a customer I was asked, "Have you ever met a CM consultant named 'Sharon Brown'?"

I was sure God wanted me to give the spot to Sharon Brown.

After finding her contact information online, I sent Sharon an email explaining the situation. I told her that I'd been praying about it was sure she was supposed to have the spot. She'd sent a note back and shared a bit about herself, including connections to Alpha and love of Beth Moore Bible studies. (It turns out our children even attended the same school!) The emails led to a phone call where we discovered yet another surprising connection - we'd both battled eating disorders as young women.

Simply amazing.

Sharon and I lost touch for a period of time but were reconnected after I received an email from someone at church. A woman was interested in starting up a Bible study and I was asked to coach the new leader. Any ideas as to who that "new leader" happened to be? You guessed it... Sharon Brown! She and her family were now attending our church.

I have been blessed beyond measure by our friendship and wonder what would have happened had I ignored God's prompting? It would have been so easy to dismiss, so easy to just stay in my comfort zone, so easy to walk away from that Alpha weekend. It makes me think of the thousands of other opportunities I've let slip by... what did God have in store that I was too afraid to grasp? When I recall moments like these, I am reminded that God has a plan for my life. It is His plan, not mine, and I want to actively engage it.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

post signature

No comments: