Monday, December 1, 2008

Knowing God: His will is ALWAYS best (Part 1 of 3)

In learning more about God, His plan for your life, and in reading His Word (the Bible) it is important to understand a few things first. The following are excerpts and adaptations from the book, Experiencing God by Henry T. Blackaby and Claude V. King (click HERE).

God is love: His will is always best. Scripture says God's very nature is love. (1 John 4:16) His kind of love always seeks the very best for a person. God does bring discipline, judgment, and wrath on those who continue on in rebellion but that discipine is always based on love. "For the Lord corrects and disciplines everyone whom He loves, and He punishes, even scourges, every son whom He accepts and welcomes to His heart and cherishes." (Hebrews 12:6) Because His very nature is love, I can be confident that however He expresses Himself to me is based on love. He created me for a love relationship and He is pursuing me in that love relationship.

God's commands are for my good. When you hear words such as commands, judgments, statutes, or laws, your first impression may be a negative one. But the Bible tells us otherwise:
What does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments of the Lord and His statutes which I command you today for your good?" (Deuteronomy 10:12-13)

He said to them, "Set your hearts on all the words which I testify among you today, which you shall command your children to be careful to observe - all the words of this law. For it is not a futile thing for you, because it is your life, and by this word you shall prolong your days in the land which you cross over the Jordan to possess." (Deuteronomy 32:46-47)
When you come to know God by experience, you will be convinced of His love. When you are convinced of His love, you will believe Him and trust Him. When you trust Him, you have no problem obeying Him.

Life is full of "land mines" that can destroy and wreck our lives. God does not want us to miss out on His best and has given us guidelines for living to make the most of our lives and love relationship with Him. Suppose you had to cross a field full of real land mines and a person who know where every single one of them is buried, offers to take you through. Would you say to him, "I don't want you to tell me what to do, don't impose your ways on me"? I don't know about you, but I would stick as close as I could to that person! His directions would preserve my life.

God wants us to prosper and live life to its fullest measure. He wants you to live life and have it abundantly. When He gives you a command, He's trying to protect and perserve the best He has for you.

I am the Door; anyone who enters in through Me will be saved (will live). He will come in and he will go out [freely], and will find pasture. The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows). John 10:9-10

post signature

No comments: