Thursday, August 28, 2008

One of my favorite Joyce Meyerisms

“Sitting in a church does not make one a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes one a car.” ~Joyce Meyer requoting

So what does it mean to be a Christian? I remember asking myself this question several years after a fellow Creative Memories Consultant made mention of her faith and its influence on her life. She and several other consultant friends referred to themselves as Christians which struck me as odd. After all, when speaking about matters of faith people usually referred to themselves by denomination; I had no clue what it meant to be a Christian. Curious, I began to explore different denominations and religions seeking to understand the differences and common themes. Time and again, I was led back to the Bible.

It was around the same time that I discovered Joyce Meyer. My mom had begun talking about God a lot and kept referring to a Bible teacher she'd seen on television. I decided to secretly watch the program just in case she'd gotten sucked into something shady. Surprisingly, the lady made sense and I found myself looking forward to her program each day. Never had I known the Bible to be relevant for today yet it seemed to speak directly into my life. Things have never been the same.

In this day and age the term is broadly used; there seem to be an awful lot of people calling themselves Christians. Have you ever thought about what it means to be a Christian or wondered what it means to be "saved"? If you call yourself a Christian, are you authentically living out that faith? Below is a FANTASTIC sermon addressing these issues and more:

5/11/2008 – Taking Out the Trash, Greg Boyd (48:20 minutes)
What does it mean to "get saved?" Many people (especially people in the United States) see salvation as a one time event and the result of "believing" certain things about God. While belief is important, salvation encompasses much more than that. The salvation that God offers is a continual personal transformation where the trash of our old lives is replaced by the beauty of God's Kingdom. [Focus Scripture: Luke 12:1-5]

Audio - 5.6 mb
High-Quality Audio - 22.2 mb
QuickTime Video (mp4) - 138.9 mb
Windows Media Video (wmv) - 191.1 mb

For I am zealous for you with a godly eagerness and a divine jealousy, for I have betrothed you to one Husband, to present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 2 Corinthians 11:2 (AMP)

post signature

1 comment:

Mellissa said...

That is a great post Tina (and a *spectacular pic!) It's good to remind ourselves what being a Christian means.

BTW- is the wedding this weekend? If so, good luck! I'll be thinking about you!