Thursday, July 17, 2008

the storms of life

While we were heading home from Illinois, a stretch of turbulent weather loomed in the distance. It had been such a perfect trip, why couldn't it last just a little longer? Perhaps it would miss us...

As we continued on, the heavens opened up and rain began to pour. Heading towards southern Minnesota, I couldn't help but think of my neighbor's mom - Mona Boomgaarden. While driving through a storm in June of 2005, Mona's vehicle was swept off the road in a flash flood (her story is HERE). She describes her survival as a miracle, and rightly so. Another person died traveling in the very same storm.

Praying for God's protection as we navigated through the downpour, this verse came to mind:

When you pass through the waters
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord, your God.
Isaiah 43:2-3

He reminded me of those times in life when storms come. (Yes, my bloggy friends, we ALL have storms.) And when they do, we can do one of three things: Panic, Plead, or Pray.

When we panic, fear overwhelms us as we focus on the storm. When we plead, worry and anxiety takes hold as we focus on the storm. When we pray, the Lord is asking us to trust Him with the outcome. Our eyes are on Him, which is how we maintain peace during the storm.

Are you facing a storm? If so, here are some verses that have brought me great comfort and encouragement.

You are my hiding place, Lord; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Psalm 32:7

The Lord will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways. Psalm 91:11

"Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name." Psalm 91:14

In the day of trouble the Lord will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. Psalm 27:5

Jesus said, "Everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Jesus is that Rock my friends.

post signature

3 comments:

Mellissa said...

Wow, you have a beautiful blog today! (like you do pretty much every day!) The scriptures are speaking to my soul today and are filling me with peace and hope. Thank you thank you thank you! You are such a blessing in our lives!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mellissa - it was beautifully written. I love how you can take something ordinary, like rain, & turn it into something that really makes me think & search & speak to my heart. What a blessing your blog is to me!

Tina Vega said...

You guys are too sweet. I'm so thankful to hear that...