Tuesday, February 26, 2008

turns out I have mixed feelings

I just finished reading the book Parenting With Love & Logic by Foster Cline/Jim Fay and have mixed feelings about it. The theory behind it sounds great but it doesn't really jive with our parenting style. It involves completely relying on natural consquences vs. parent-designed consequences that relate to the offense - a tad adventurous for me. Granted, this is glossing over much but one example would be to allow my elementary-aged children to set their own bedtimes, trusting that after several days of sleep deprivation they would learn the value of getting to bed at a decent time. Yep, a little too adventurous for me.

Respectful Kids by Dr. Todd Cartmell is more up my alley. If you're interested in that book, just click on the cover above to find a link to Amazon.

I realize it's been quite some time since I've done a journaling post. Or a prize drawing post. Or a post that causes you to reflect deeply on the meaning of life. I've been quite dehydrated and it's possibly affecting my brain. Or it could be that my ?th birthday is fast approaching and I'm a wee bit preoccupied with wrinkle cream, camouflaging highlights, and age-appropriate hair bling. Whatever the reason, it will pass.

I'm off to rehydrate. Have a great day!

post signature

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts. I think I will check it out from the library before I decide whether or not to buy it. Glad you found something else that jives more with your style. I find myself taking bits and pieces of books I've read and trying to mesh that with my style. Hopefully I'll find some useful info...

Wishing you a "water-filled" day. :)