Thursday, January 17, 2008

a lesson in humility


God knows everything about me. Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh for joy or weep in embarrassment at the truth of this statement! God, the Creator of the universe, knows and still treasures me - defects and all.

Over the weekend someone asked how I was able to "lay it on the line" in my scrapbooks without feeling concerned about what others would think. It was a great question, one I have been pondering most of the week: Why do I feel compelled to share my imperfections in albums and with all of you?

Because I am NOT perfect and it makes it so much easier just to say that up front!

I haven't always felt this way; there was a time in my life I actually believed perfection was attainable. I would have sworn my best friend was perfect. Oh, and the woman who worked at the makeup counter - perfect. And of course, all of the models in the magazines - PERFECT. I devoted a great deal of time and energy on my appearance hoping to camouflage the broken mess inside. But, no matter how hard I tried, I could never seem to get there.

There was one time, for example, when I had on THE most killer outfit, trying to be "all that" as I made my way around campus as a new student. I was pretty puffed up until my four-inch heel got stuck in the footbridge, dropping me flat. To make matters worse, my lovely shoe WAS STUCK TO THE BRIDGE, its heel wedged into a crevice. I was mortified.

It was years before I realized the futility of chasing perfection. And, oh - the brilliance of God! For had it been attainable, I would have never willingly surrendered my broken life for the perfection that is in Christ.

I pray that my children and others will learn from the mistakes I've made (and continue to make!) and am forever grateful for the Lord's mercy, forgiveness, and grace.

All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand,
that He may lift you in due time.
1 Peter 5:5b-6 (NIV)

post signature

4 comments:

Heather said...

Losing your shoe and falling on your face is one way to realize the importance of humility! Thanks for sharing.

Amy L Brooke said...

Hoped over from Lysa's. I struggle with being a perfectionist as well! Humilty is such an important thing!

Anonymous said...

Came from Lysa's site. Great story on humility. Thank you for putting it all there
Thanks for visiting my blog, too!

On a side note - I saw you have Mercy Ministries in your sidebar. My friend is very involved in Mercy Ministries as well. Great ministry!

Sandy said...

Oh I so wish we did not have to fall flat on our faces to experience humility but that is really where it starts isn't it?
Great post!

Blessings,
Miss Sandy