Friday, January 4, 2008

havin' myself a lesson...

After receiving inspiration from a blogging friend of mine, I decided to take some time with God to address a few things about myself. Specifically, a few things I need help changing. I sat down with my journal and made a list. A "personal inventory" of sorts.

And wouldn't you know it, not five minutes went by when I did something on the list. The ink wasn't even dry and I was already making a mess of things!

It has to do with my mouth. It just needs to be clamped shut sometimes.

While I was tucking my youngest son into bed last night, we had an opportunity to talk about my mouth. I told him that this was exactly why I needed Jesus. Because no matter how hard I try, I can't do it by myself. I need God to change me. My son pushed off the covers, scooched over, and gave me a big hug. I mean BIG. Then he kissed my cheek. When I asked him what prompted such a sweet gesture, he simply said, "I don't know."

Just precious.

I have the feeling I'm not the only one who struggles with my mouth at times. It could be yelling, swearing, teasing, rushing, gossiping, complaining, grumbling, mumbling, sassing - it could be directed at yourself, kids, husband, friend(s), neighbor(s), or even the stranger in the car behind you.

What God reminded me of today was that He gives us open eyes and ears to see our flaws and mistakes NOT TO CONDEMN but to remind us we're in need of a Savior.

Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof. Proverbs 18:21

post signature

No comments: