Thursday, December 27, 2007

Come up for air!

I've recently lost my boys to Nintendo DS. I guess we can all be a little obsessive at times...

I was thinking today about how serious I can be, always working so hard at being productive. Then it hit me! Too much work can be just as damaging as too much play; both are unbalanced. As I continue to put limits on my kids' play time, I am also in need of limits on my work time.

Part of balance is variety and diversity. If the boys appear to be focusing too much on one particular game or toy, we encourage them to try something new just to shake things up. The same concept applies to me as I have a tendency to lean heavily on routines for comfort. When taken to extremes, this can get ugly.

I can get ugly (i.e. inflexible, unyielding).

Everyone once in a while, I need to shake things up by stepping out of my comfort zone. God created us for new and exciting experiences. And while routine has its benefits, it can hinder us from being open to new things.

Be well-balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour. 1 Peter 5:8

No comments: