Wednesday, November 21, 2007

all i want for christmas

Many years ago, I stumbled upon this book entitled, "Unplug the Christmas Machine." It begins with a Christmas Pledge:
  • Remember those people who truly need my gifts.
  • Express my love in more direct ways than gifts.
  • Examine my holiday activities in the light of my deepest values.
  • Be a peacemaker within my circle of family and friends.
  • Rededicate myself to my spiritual growth.

It is so easy to get caught up in the holiday whirlwind and even easier to forget why and what we are celebrating in the first place! If you are looking for a simpler, less commercial, more soul-satisfying celebration - this book is for you. The exercises in the book will help you pinpoint what you like and don't like about your current celebrations, clarify your values, and create a simple plan to move toward a more satisfying celebration.

It is a insightful book that I refer to every year as a "check-up" and reminder. If you tend to feel burdened and stressed during the holidays, this book will give you practical ideas and tips for putting joy back into the season.

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

Journaling Ideas: Think back to last Christmas, taking a close look at the activities surrounding it (e.g. holiday cards, baking, volunteer work, shopping, decorating the tree). What activities did you enjoy? List which activities were not enjoyable and why. Does your current holiday celebration reflect your values? What is one thing you could do differently this year to simplify things?

No comments: