Friday, October 26, 2007

my favorite mom @ my favorite place

I know the photo is slightly off-center but I wanted to make sure you could see where we were at... yes, another coffee shop! My mom at Caribou - how could I say no?

We had a nice, spontaneous visit after my haircut yesterday and a few things stood out to me. First of all, she knows things. When I was living my secret (eating disorder) life years ago, she would always end our phone calls with, "If there is something you need to tell me, I'm here." I remember her also telling me that she knew something was wrong and that it had even gotten her into church to pray for me. It was uncanny; everyone physically close to me was clueless to the hidden life - but Mom KNEW.

There are other stories with siblings as well. We occasionally joke how it drives us nuts but truthfully, I am thankful for Mom's discernment and boldness in speaking out. It is a gift.

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life." ~Abraham Lincoln

Journaling Ideas: What about your mom will you (or do you) miss most? What things drive you nuts? In what ways are you similar? Different? How has your relationship changed over the years? What about your relationship are you most thankful for?

post signature

7 comments:

Amy said...

That is a really great picture of her!

Tina Vega said...

It was SO FUNNY taking the picture. At first, she wanted to smile really big - and then I showed her what it looked like. We were both laughing hysterically. Then I went to take her picture again and... voila!

Anonymous said...

that's really funny.

Anonymous said...

At least you don't have that dumb look you always make in pictures and your mouth hanging open!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice!

Anonymous said...

I know how much your mom hates to have her picture taken. I can't believe she let you do this, in public no less. Great shot of her.

Tina Vega said...

You made me laugh, Mary... that's so true.