Saturday, October 6, 2007

the good and the bad...

I went to a private healing service for Jean last night. I didn't bring my camera and now really wish I had. I'd like to say it was unforgettable but I know how the mind works. Details fade and the power that filled the moment slips away. Faithbooking is about reliving moments. It's about finding beauty, hope, and purpose in every situation - looking at life through God's eyes.

Here are a few things I want to remember about last night:
  • The power of a story. Pastor Pat shared her story. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer some 13 years ago. Friends asked if they could pray with her before the preoperative appointment and she agreed, "just to be nice." She became violently ill the day of her appointment and could barely make it from the bathroom to the bed. After vomiting more than a dozen times, she felt extremely weak. She fell asleep for a couple of hours, waking shortly before the appointment. She stewed, "People who get prayed for are supposed to be healed and instead I get worse!" At the appointment, her doctor decided to order a second set of x-rays. After they were taken, the doctor called her back into the room and asked her to take a look at the x-rays. The facts were unmistakable - her cancerous tumors were not there. Every test came back negative; the doctor said, "I have no medical explanation for what has happened."
    Years later, she was diagnosed with metastasized liver cancer (confirmed by two different hospitals). A special healing service was held on her behalf. I remember the peaceful calm that surrounded her; she told everyone that she was not afraid and that she trusted God. She went to the Mayo Clinic for treatment a short time later and the cancer was gone.
    Miracles are possible.
  • Joy. Jean moved about the room with her skirt swirling and a smile on her face. She was filled with joy as she danced to her favorite songs.

  • Love. Every family member was brought to tears. Jean moved quietly from person to person, giving each a gentle touch - a warm embrace.

  • She and Rick together. Hugs. Lots of hugs.

  • Prayers for the entire family. There were some big words spoken. Powerful prayers that will have a giant ripple effect. "Holy Commotion" is what I call it.

These memories and moments are important! Sometimes it's difficult to see purpose in difficult situations, but God makes things clear with the passage of time.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thank you for sharing about this, Tina. Jean hasn't been far from my thoughts and prayers since I first heard the news, and I am so glad she had this service last night. I would love to hear more about it.