Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Blogging Basics

I haven't yet posted on this and thought it might be helpful for those of you new to the world of blogging.

What is a blog? A blog is basically an online journal; a place to share thoughts, ideas, stories, and resources.

How do I search for a particular topic or entry? Perhaps you're interested seeing an entry on a particular topic - say "birthdays" for example. Scroll to the top of the page and you'll notice a "search" button on the upper left corner. Just type in whatever topic you're interested in and it will pull up all related entries.

Why post a comment? Maybe you'll come across an entry that seems so relevant to where you are at. It could be something that touches you deeply or one that simply made you laugh. Maybe you have a story or experience that relates to the entry I've written. Maybe you disagree with something I've written or have a question about it. Comments can be viewed by everyone reading the blog and can enhance the experience of blogging by providing an interactive connection.

How do I post a comment? Simply, click on the word "Comments" underneath the specific blog entry you are interested in commenting on. You do not need to be a registered user to share a comment! Though many blogs require this - mines does not. I want to make it as easy as possible for you to share your thoughts as well. Typically, if you share a comment you'd click on "other" afterwards and type your first name in as your identity.

Can I remain anonymous? Yes! Just click on "anonymous" and your comment will be posted anonymously.

What is that "word verification thingy" all about? It just prevents SPAM-like software from messing with the comments on my blog.

How do I get in on the prize drawings? Every once in a while you'll notice a prize drawing post. I usually give people a few days to participate. Sometimes I'll ask you to share a comment on a particular topic and at other times you'll just need to say "hi." You can still remain anonymous!!! When I post the winner, I will post your full entry so you can recognize yourself as the winner. At that point you would need to send me a private email to receive your prize.

This all sounds good but I still have a few more questions. What now? Just post a comment to this entry with your question or email me at acvega@ties2.net or acvega@frontiernet.net (I'm in the process of transitioning to the latter address).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, Tina!!

Tina Vega said...

It looks like with my bloggy makeover, my word-verification-thingy has been deactivated. Until I fix it, you're free to post without that inconvenient step!