Sunday, September 2, 2007

the last hurrah.

So here we are, the end of summer. Can you believe it? School begins on Tuesday! It is a time of transition. Change. Both of my kids will now be there full-time, which means my role at home needs to be redefined. I am equally anxious and excited about what lies ahead.

How are you with change? I have a hard time facing the UNKNOWN. It feels like I'm standing at the edge of a cliff with no bridge in sight. Even writing this post puts my nerves on edge! For those of you going through similar transitions, here are some verses that bring me comfort and peace during times of change:

Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)

The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave or forsake you. Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged. (Deuteronomy 31:8)

Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9)

When life feels "up in the air" I plant my feet firmly on Christ. I may not have every detail worked out, but He does. I simply need to follow His lead.

Journaling Ideas: Look back through your life at times of transition. Whether graduating from high school, moving to a new home, starting a new job, having a child, becoming an empty-nester, getting married or divorced, losing a loved one - journal about those times of change. What feelings did you experience? How did you weather the change? How long did it take for you to feel comfortable in the new setting? Looking back, do you see any emerging patterns in the way you handle change? Do you tend to fight it or just roll with it?

No comments: