Monday, July 30, 2007

**BFF**

Meeley and Drew met at the beginning of the school year and became fast friends. Before meeting Drew, Meeley did his best to describe the new friend to me: "He looks just like me, but with dark hair and brown eyes." Identical twins they were not, but in personality and demeanor they were very much the same! They had tons in common, including a younger brother. After spending gobs of time together this summer, Meeley was disappointed to see Drew leave for 3-weeks to visit family and friends in Michigan. Over the course of the last week, he repeatedly asked: "Hasn't it been three weeks yet? How long has it been? Do you think he's home yet? Are you sure they'll call?" Thankfully, his family called last night. Unfortunately, it wasn't the news I was hoping for:

Drew and his family are moving to Michigan.

We arranged a playdate for Tuesday and then I set out to break the news to my boys. It was heartwrenching! Ren cried while Meeley just sat and listened. He bravely said a couple of things about "being pen-pals" and "sending emails" before slipping off to his room. Moments later, I heard him crying and went in to give him a big hug.

That's what I continue to do - give big hugs. I told him about my best friend and shared what it was like for me when she moved to Michigan (for real). And, what helps me when things change is knowing that there is One who never changes.

The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. (Deuteronomy 31:8)

post signature

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh, I can understand how he feels! That was the worst thing as a kid-I had many friends move back to the states when I lived in Saudi, and its so hard to say goodbye! Big hugs to both boys, especially E.